Mission Poshan 2.0 is India’s flagship programme to improve nutritional outcomes for children, adolescents, pregnant women and lactating mothers by leveraging technology, a targeted approach and convergence.
Why in the News?
The Centre has asked states to connect the beneficiaries through its digital malnutrition measuring tool, Poshan tracker, to universalise nutrition access.
- Launched in 2018, the focus of Abhiyaan is to lay emphasis on nutritional status of adolescent girls, pregnant woman, lactating mothers and children from 0-6 year age.
- It strives to reduce the level of stunning, under-nutrition, Anaemia and low birth weight in children.
- Target of the Abhiyaan is to reduce stunting in children (0-6 years of age) from 38.4% to 25% by 2022.
- The objective of POSHAN Abhiyaan is to reduce stunting across districts with the hights malnutrition burden by improving utilization of key anganwadi services and improving the quality of anganwadi services delivery.
- In addition, the POSHAN Abhiyaan explicitly recognize the need for convergence and coordination such that the benefits of multiple government schemes and programs reach women and children in the first 1000 days of a child’s life.
About Mission PHOSHAN 2.0
- Launched in February 2022, it is an Integrated Nutrition Support Programme.
- It seeks to address the challenges of malnutrition in children, adolescent girls, pregnant woman and lactating mothers.
- It aims to optimize the quality and delivery of food under the Supplementary Nutrition Program.
- Poshan 2.0 shall focus on Maternal Nutrition, Infant and Yong Child Feeding Norms, Treatment of MAM/SAM (Moderate/ Severe Acute Malnutrition) and Wellness through AYUSH.
- It will rest on pillars of Convergence, Governance, and Capacity-building.
- Poshan Abhiyan will be the key pillar for Outreach and will cover innovation related to nutritional support, ICT interventions, Media Advocacy and Research, Community Outreach and Jan Andolan.
- Digital infrastructure under the “Poshan Tracker” was rolled out by MoWCD on 1st March 2021 through National e-Governance Division as a governance tool.
- It records real-time data on malnourished and ‘severe acute malnourished’ children in each anganwadi.
- It will strengthen and bring about transparency in nutrition delivery support systems.
- Technology under poshan Tracker is being leveraged for:
- Dynamic identification of stunting, wasting, under-weight prevalence amoung children;
- Last mile tracking of nutrition service delivery.